Subject: 24.0.50; `fill-paragraph' on doc string with colons

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:45:12 -0800

This is a regression introduced in Emacs 22.1.  There is no such problem
in Emacs 20 or 21.
 
emacs -Q
 
Put this in *scratch* or an Emacs-Lisp mode buffer:
 
(defun foo ()
  "WHAT'S WITH THIS?
 
The usual menu keywords are allowed: :enable, :visible, :keys, :filter,...."
 
  42)

Put the cursor on the second sentence of the doc string and hit `M-q'.
The sentence gets wrapped this way:
 
The usual menu keywords are
allowed: :enable, :visible, :keys, :filter,...."
 
The line should instead be broken between ":keys" and ":filter", since
there is enough space for "... allowed: :enable, :visible, :keys,".
 
Remove the colon before ":enable" or add a space to get ": enable" and
the line gets broken as one would expect.  But with the colons as they
are, and no matter how much space is between "allowed:" and ":enable",
the line is broken incorrectly.
 
The same problem occurs if you change "allowed:" to "allowed.",
"allowed!", "allowed?", "allowed,", or just "allowed", and no matter how
much space you leave after it.  The same problem occurs if you remove
"allowed:" altogether, i.e., with "The usual menu keywords are :enable,
...".

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-12-20 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'