Subject: Re: OpenSMTP logging

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2025 20:55:45 +0200

Hello,

Am Thu, Apr 03, 2025 at 11:13:50AM -0700 schrieb Felix Lechner via:
> P.S. I linked to my Debbugs clone since Mumi did not pick it up.

this was probably just a question of time; I can see it now on issues.

> I can confirm that logging in OpenSMTPd is broken.  I fixed it locally
> with the patch in Bug#77501. [1]

This looks good to me as someone who knows very little about services...
I have looked at the shepherd manual, and in
   https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/manual/shepherd.html#Service-De_002d-and-Constructors
it says the following about make-fork-exec-constructor:
"Note: This will not work as expected if the process “daemonizes”
(forks); in that case, you will need to pass #:pid-file, as explained
below."

Now that you do not daemonize, is #:pid-file still needed or useful?

#:log-file "/var/log/maillog"
And is this the good file name? Not mail.log?

Andreas