Subject: Re: [bug#77501] [PATCH] Log OpenSMTPd to /var/log/mail.log via a configurable option. (Closes: #77501)

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2025 09:52:53 +0900

Hi Andreas,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> The "-d" flag passed to #$smtpd prevents it from "daemonizing". So we
>> concluded that the #:pid-file thing was not needed (maybe it is needed,
>> but then the documentation should be adapted).

>From my understanding, a pid file is still useful for *synchronization*
reasons, whether the service daemonizes or not.  It's a token that lets
the service notify the init system that "OK, I've done my basic startup,
I'm ready to receive client requests".

That's been progressively replaced by socket activation in the systemd
world (and we support that via make-systemd-constructor, though I've
found some issue with it when using TLS connections -- to be reported
separately).

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim