Subject: Re: bug#77500: project-find-sibling-file

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2025 02:29:16 +0300

Hi!

On 03/04/2025 20:45, Juri Linkov wrote:
> There are many project commands that represent their global counterparts
> with the prefix 'project-' added to their command names like
> 'project-find-file' and 'find-file'.
> 
> However, there is one new command that doesn't correspond to its global sibling:
> 'project-find-matching-file' has no binding, so every time I have to manually

Not sure if the current name is ideal, certainly.

> type its name, and after unsuccessfully trying 'M-x project-find-sibling-file'
> I need to spend time reading project.el to find the name of the new command,
> because it has a name different from the global command 'find-sibling-file'.
> 
> Therefore, I propose to rename 'project-find-matching-file' to 'project-find-sibling-file'.

But is 'find-sibling-name' its proper counterpart? That one looks for 
files named similarly but not exactly same, residing in the same 
directory, or nearby directories. Often with different contents.

Whereas the current project-find-matching-file looks for files with 
equal relative names (and usually similar contents) that reside in two 
distinct directory trees. In a sense, this might be the opposite from 
'find-sibling-name'.

FWIW, originally I was thinking to call it 'project-find-same-file'.

Anyway, opinions welcome.