Subject: 30.1.50; "]" in the prompt in minibuffer-regexp-mode causes warning

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2025 12:53:12 -0400

1. emacs -Q

2. C-M-% ]

3. "]" is now in the prompt; type "foo" and see a minibuffer-message "Not in character
alternative".

4. RET

5. C-M-%

6. "] -> foo" is in the prompt (as a default); type "bar" and also see a
minibuffer-message "Not in character alternative".

This also happens for longer strings e.g. "foobar]".

This is especially annoying because C-M-% uses the previous M-%
replacement as a default; so if M-% was used explicitly to replace a
string containing ], it will confuse a subsequent C-M-%.

In GNU Emacs 30.1.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2025-03-28 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: 3e6424e1f1816332e574035bc73143551a69efb6
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.10 (Green Obsidian)

Configured using:
 'configure --config-cache --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-gpm
 --without-gconf --without-selinux --without-imagemagick --with-modules
 --with-gif=no --with-cairo --with-rsvg --without-compress-install
 --with-tree-sitter --with-native-compilation=aot
 --prefix=/usr/local/home/garnish/raw-emacs/30-20250328_130425'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBSYSTEMD
LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP
SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM
XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /usr/local/home/sbaugh/workspaces/24833141-bffb-3c99-a9d6-c366d37c4f5e/+share+/app/emacs/elisp:/usr/local/home/sbaugh/workspaces/24833141-bffb-3c99-a9d6-c366d37c4f5e/+share+/app/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/local/home/sbaugh/workspaces/24833141-bffb-3c99-a9d6-c366d37c4f5e/+share+/app/emacs/lib/ecaml_plugin/bin:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 50211 12703) (symbols 48 5422 0) (strings 32 15155 1833)
 (string-bytes 1 505477) (vectors 16 9137)
 (vector-slots 8 126904 8967) (floats 8 24 2) (intervals 56 277 0)
 (buffers 992 10))