Subject: Re: bug#77496: [PATCH] Add 'ns-app-badge' to set macOS / GNUstep icon badge

From: Ship Mints <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2025 09:44:31 -0400

On Sat, Apr 5, 2025 at 9:35 AM Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ship Mints <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > No reason to be skeptical. The API is dead simple as is the
> implementation.
> >
> > https://multixden.blogspot.com/2023/08/gnustep-now-has-badges.html
> >
> https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/blob/fcfc643e3cacdb7b455629951481ead986cdd182/Headers/AppKit/NSDockTile.h#L65
> >
> https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/blob/fcfc643e3cacdb7b455629951481ead986cdd182/Source/NSDockTile.m#L122
>
> That's good to hear.  None the less, GNUstep is too seldom used for
> feature availability there to justify implementing the same features on
> Mac OS, particularly when Emacs's GNUstep port is known to be unreliable
> and short of other critical editing features such as Indic or Arabic
> script shaping support.
>

Eli asked that the hurdle to be cleared was support of the same feature on
a free platform.  If that hurdle is based on platform popularity, what are
the precise metrics we should use to gauge such?  I'm aware of GNUstep
being actively used in military, aerospace, and industrial products.  Is
Haiku?  Or any other esoteric platforms that Emacs supports?