Subject: bug#77469: finder-inf is not autocompiled on installation

From: Gergely Riskó <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2025 21:10:27 +0200

> Where's the evidence that just adding the utf-8 coding cookie makes it
> significantly faster, and by how much?

You are right in that the evidence I provided is only measurable in
bulk, e.g. with run-benchmark and many iterations.

And when I tried to measure it in isolation regarding the startup
time, I noticed that actually the coding is already there at the end
of finder-inf.el, which I didn't notice before.

This seems to be consistent throughout emacs for these auto-generated
non-bytecompiled data holding .el files, they all define utf-8-emacs
or utf-8-emacs-unix at the end in the local variables section (which
is just as effective, as specifying on the top).

The only exception is subdirs.el, which is missing this, but
finder-inf.el definitely has it, sorry for the noise.
So, actually let's skip this part of the discussion and once again, sorry.

The other part is still interesting to me, so as you said, I will wait
for the others to hopefully reply regarding specifying .el explicitly
when loading/requiring finder-inf.el, similarly to subdirs.el.

Cheers,
Gergely