Subject: Re: bug#77469: finder-inf is not autocompiled on installation

From: Gergely Riskó <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2025 05:17:44 +0200

On Thu, Apr 3, 2025 at 6:45 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Why is it important to compile it?  It defines 2 variables, and has no
> code.  What would be gained by compiling it?

Hey Eli, thanks for coming back to me this fast.

The background is this:
https://github.com/radian-software/straight.el/issues/1190

I'm trying to optimize my .emacs, and as part of that, I set up load
suffixes a way, that only .elc is searched, nothing else.

This works, because my whole package setup is byte-compiled with
straight.  Core emacs is byte-compiled in debian, so everything works
out.

The only outlier is this one file.

After my .emacs finished, as the last thing I set back the load suffix
setup to normal, so describe-function and similar stuff works with
.el.gz source files in Debian.  Because of the explosion of load-path
with packages, this trick gives a big win during emacs startup time.

Cheers,
Gergely