Subject: bug#77468: closed (Re: bug#77468: 30.1.50; package-quickstart file is not relocatable)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2025 18:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#77468: 30.1.50; package-quickstart file is not relocatable

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
77468: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=77468
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#77468: 30.1.50; package-quickstart file is not relocatable
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2025 14:40:46 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> Your approach is cleaner but I'm just worried that someone out there
>> loads the package-quickstart file "by hand".
>
> Ah, good point.  I'll just do the setq, see patch:

Thanks, pushed to `master`,

        Stefan

Subject: 30.1.50; package-quickstart file is not relocatable
From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2025 14:45:53 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The package-quickstart file hardcodes various absolute file names.  This
means it can't be used in situations where the package directory might
be at different absolute names at package-quickstart-refresh time
and at usage time.

For example:

- network filesystems where the user's home directory has a different
  absolute name on different hosts

- a system-wide package-directory-list entry which has a
  package-quickstart file generated for it at build time which has a
  different absolute name at install time (this is my use case; there
  are other problems with it, but the absolute names are the biggest
  one)

I think we should make package-quickstart use file names which are
relative to the location of the package-quickstart file itself.  I'm
happy to write the patch for this if that sounds reasonable.