Subject: bug#77468: 30.1.50; package-quickstart file is not relocatable

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2025 13:29:54 -0400

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I guess file-name-directory can be slow due to find-file-name-handler...
>> that's sad since it's otherwise just a trivial string operation.
>
> It's not a major performance issue, but I can't think of a reason why we
> wouldn't want to make this trivial optimization.

Agree, agreed.  Just thinking about whether there's possibilities for
further optimization (like, do we really need to have non-nil
find-file-name-handler in the quickstart?).

>> I guess I could wrap the entire file in a let binding, but that's mildly
>> annoying and ugly...
>
> We can just `setq` a private global var.  It's conceptually
> ugly, but it gets the job done.  As long as we support only a single
> global `package-quickstart.el` that should be good enough.

I guess you prefer this to the approach in the patch I sent, where I
let-bind default-directory outside the load of package-quickstart-file?