Subject: bug#77426: closed (Re: bug#77426: pdfarranger breaks Gnome desktop when installed)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2025 14:18:02 +0000

Your bug report

#77426: pdfarranger breaks Gnome desktop when installed

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
77426: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=77426
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#77426: pdfarranger breaks Gnome desktop when installed
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: Christophe Pisteur <[email-masked]>
Cc: Christopher O'Neill <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2025 23:17:10 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Christophe Pisteur <[email-masked]> writes:

> I had the same problem since Gnome 46: even with a fresh install, as
> soon as I install pdfarranger 1.11.0, I get the message “oh no
> something has
> gone wrong...”. See:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2025-03/msg00148.html

It's weird that a few propagated Python packages could break GDM, but
I've fixed this particular occurrence by simply not propagating anything
from pdfarranger with commit edeafb19c4a: being an application (and not
a library), it doesn't need to make its own Python dependencies
available to the profile.

Closing; thanks for the report.

-- 
Maxim

Subject: pdfarranger breaks Gnome desktop when installed
From: Christopher O'Neill <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2025 08:29:43 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Having pdfarranger installed causes Gnome desktop to fail with the "Oh
no! Something has gone wrong!" screen. This occurs about 45 seconds
after login.

I think this started a few weeks ago when the Gnome updates were pushed
through.

I can't see anything relevant in /var/log/messages or /var/log/gdm/*

I've tried with pdfarranger installed via guix home and guix package,
with no difference. It works fine if I temporarily install it via guix
shell.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to further diagnose what
may causing this.

Thanks.
Chris