Subject: bug#7742: 24.0.50; C-g does not dismiss popup menus

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 23:27:57 -0400

tags 7742 wontfix
quit

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> emacs -Q
>  
> C-mouse-3 in some buffer, to bring up the popup menu.  C-g does not
> dismiss the menu - you are trapped in the menu dialog/interaction.  You
> must do something like click mouse-1 outside the menu to dismiss it.
>  
> Admittedly, it is usually easier in this context to click mouse-1 than
> to hit C-g on the keyboard.  Still, C-g should DTRT.
>  
> (I'm guessing that this is hard to fix or it would have been fixed by
> now.  But I don't know that, and it's good to record the bug anyway,
> even if we don't intend to try to fix it anytime soon.)

According to https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24596#8

    C-g doesn't work on a GUI frame because the menu is controlled by
    Windows, not by Emacs, and Windows doesn't know about C-g.  IOW,
    this is a limitation we can do very little about.

So I'm marking this as wontfix.