Subject: Re: bug#7741: More about folding emacsclient into emacs

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 22:00:16 -0400

Reuben Thomas wrote:

> So again, it would be good if emacsclient were folded into emacs. I just
> had a look at their respective command-line options, and I can't see any
> that clash (where the same option is used for both programs, it's used for
> the same thing).
>
> What would remain is to add options --[no]client to force "emacs" to [not]
> behave as "emacsclient", and decide a sensible default policy. A sensible
> place to start seems to be to behave like emacsclient when called with
> --alternate-editor="", that is, try to connect to a server, and if one
> can't be found, start normally (emacsclient would instead run "emacs
> --daemon" here and try to connect to it).
>
> Regardless of whether anyone feels like hacking on this, I'd like to know
> whether it's a tractable design problem (have I missed anything major?) and
> clikely to be accepted. If so, I might be up for hacking on it.

I had the same thoughts recently and found that, of course, there is
already an open report for it.

So I'm just chiming in very late to say that I agree with pretty much
everything you said, and I would like to see a patch for this.