Subject: bug#7741: 23.2.91; Please allow emacs to run emacsclient

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 19:32:09 +0200

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 18:23, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> it seems worth
> pursuing making things simpler. Here, I'm after a solution that means
> that one can set EDITOR=emacs, and it will just DTRT, i.e. start Emacs
> if not already started, or use emacsclient otherwise.

Simpler than using emacsclient -a "" or the emacs daemon?

> All the required behavior already exists, but it's still necessary to
> use emacsclient and set up some environment variables to make it all
> work; it should be possible to do pretty much everything out of the
> box, which would give users who don't have the time or expertise to
> set everything up access to the same convenience and functionality.

But what you're talking aboutis  saving a few keystrokes once... It is
possible to use Emacs out of the box, but even users without time or
expertise will have to set up more than that to make effective use of
Emacs, I think.

Doesn't seem worth the trouble to me, but that's just MHO.

    Juanma