Subject: Re: bug#7741: 23.2.91; Please allow emacs to run emacsclient

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 17:23:36 +0100

On 4 July 2011 12:43, Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 13:39, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> It would be
>> nice if emacs did the same, i.e. if emacs had a -client flag which made
>> it work like emacsclient. Even if it did something as simple as passing
>> the remaining arguments to emacsclient.
>
> Isn't that the kind of thing that's easily done with a shell script?
> (I certainly do much more complicated things to start emacs /
> emacsclient with Windows' CMD.EXE, which is far less powerful that any
> POSIX shell...)

Of course, a shell script could do the task, it just would be good to
have out of the box. Given the amount of effort that has already gone
into making it possible to use emacsclient (e.g. ALTERNATE_EDITOR and
its magic behavior when it exists but is empty), it seems worth
pursuing making things simpler. Here, I'm after a solution that means
that one can set EDITOR=emacs, and it will just DTRT, i.e. start Emacs
if not already started, or use emacsclient otherwise.

All the required behavior already exists, but it's still necessary to
use emacsclient and set up some environment variables to make it all
work; it should be possible to do pretty much everything out of the
box, which would give users who don't have the time or expertise to
set everything up access to the same convenience and functionality.

-- 
http://rrt.sc3d.org