Subject: Re: bug#77403: 31.0.50; GNU ELPA Tramp package not released

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2025 11:08:50 -0400

>> yesterday morning, I have uploaded the changes of Tramp 2.7.2.3 to its
>> git repository. It has been synced with the GNU ELPA git repo
>> automatically.
>>
>> However, Tramp 2.7.2.3 hasn't been released until now (other GNU ELPA
>> packages are released). Could you pls check what's up?
>
> Ping.
>
> Note, that this problem prevents new Tramp releases on GNU ELPA at all.

Duh, it was more difficult than it should to track down, but the core
problem is simple:

    error("Version must be a string")
    version-to-list(27.1)
    #f(compiled-function (elt) #<bytecode -0x83c51edcaed87ec>)((emacs 27.1))
    mapcar(#f(compiled-function (elt) #<bytecode -0x83c51edcaed87ec>) ((emacs 27.1)))
    package-desc-from-define("tramp" "2.7.2.3" "Transparent Remote Access, Multiple Protocol" ((emacs 27.1)) :kind single :url "https://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/" :keywords ("comm" "processes") :maintainer ("Michael Albinus" . "[email-masked]") :authors (("Kai Großjohann" . "[email-masked]") ("Michael Albinus" . "[email-masked]")))
    package-buffer-info()

> Is this what we want?

It's OK that it prevents the release (and also the GNU-devel), I think,
but it's not OK that it did not send a notification like it happens for
(most) other failures.

        Stefan