Subject: bug#77381: [PATCH] extend tex--prettify-symbols-alist

From: "Paul D. Nelson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2025 18:21:44 +0200

> Ideally, we should only add those which can be displayed.  The
> function char-displayable-p should be able to tell.  Would it be
> possible to change the code such that only the symbols that pass that
> test are added?

I tried, but wasn't able to extract the necessary information from
char-displayable-p:

In GUI Emacs,

  (char-displayable-p #x1F6F0) -> 'unicode

and that character is not displayable for me (it renders as a white
square).

In Emacs -nw,

  (char-displayable-p #x1d550) -> 'unicode

but that character displays normally for me.

Thus, when the return value of char-displayable-p is 'unicode, I don't
know how to determine whether the character would be displayable for our
purposes (i.e., not as a white square).

Any suggestions?