Subject: bug#77354: 30.1; `finder-commentary' could call `help-make-xrefs' to generate links

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2025 21:06:55 +1300

If `finder-commentary' calls `help-make-xrefs' then we'll get
buttons/links to the relevant Help and/or Info nodes in the
rendered Commentary, which would be a nice improvement.

Can anyone think of a reason not to do that?

Before Emacs 29.1 this was prevented by bug#41836 as the links
would not work outside of Help buffers; but that's been fixed,
and experimentally the idea seems to work as desired.

With that bug fixed, I was looking at making `so-long-commentary'
invoke `help-make-xrefs' (and changing how I'd formatted the info
node references to match), but I realised that I'd get the same
result if `finder-commentary' did it, and other finder uses would
benefit besides.

Shall we install this?:

modified   lisp/finder.el
@@ -388,6 +388,7 @@ finder-commentary
      (insert str)
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (package--describe-add-library-links)
+    (help-make-xrefs)
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (setq buffer-read-only t)
      (set-buffer-modified-p nil)

-Phil