Subject: Re: More OpenEXR 2 to 3 migration

From: Vinicius Monego <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2025 11:45:18 +0000

Em 07/04/2025 08:29, Andreas Enge escreveu:
> Hello Vinicius,
>
> Am Mon, Apr 07, 2025 at 11:17:13AM +0000 schrieb Vinicius Monego:
>>> Right now I am updating to 1.12.2 and will push once I have made sure
>>> that all dependents still build. The aarch64 package also builds.
>>> I have not moved to openexr@3 and have also not removed ilmbase; what is
>>> the motivation for this latest change?
>> The OpenEXR 2 situation may be comparable to GTK2. While not officially
>> deprecated (AFAIK), it won't receive any feature updates and I don't know
>> whether it is still receiving security updates.
> there has been a misunderstanding; I suppose that moving from @2 to @3
> is a good thing, but why remove ilmbase at the same time? Is ilmbase
> related to openexr@2? (I know nothing about these packages, I have just
> used hugin in the past, so my question may well be naive.)

Oh, I see.

Yes, it is documented in the porting guide:

https://openexr.com/en/latest/PortingGuide.html

 > Thus, with the 2.4 release, the “IlmBase” libraries are no longer 
distributed in a form that is readily separable from the rest of OpenEXR.

IlmBase had part of it moved into the 'imath' package and other 
remaining functionality was merged into the openexr tree.

Vinicius