Subject: [bug#77350] More OpenEXR 2 to 3 migration

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2025 13:29:14 +0200

Hello Vinicius,

Am Mon, Apr 07, 2025 at 11:17:13AM +0000 schrieb Vinicius Monego:
> > Right now I am updating to 1.12.2 and will push once I have made sure
> > that all dependents still build. The aarch64 package also builds.
> > I have not moved to openexr@3 and have also not removed ilmbase; what is
> > the motivation for this latest change?
> The OpenEXR 2 situation may be comparable to GTK2. While not officially
> deprecated (AFAIK), it won't receive any feature updates and I don't know
> whether it is still receiving security updates.

there has been a misunderstanding; I suppose that moving from @2 to @3
is a good thing, but why remove ilmbase at the same time? Is ilmbase
related to openexr@2? (I know nothing about these packages, I have just
used hugin in the past, so my question may well be naive.)

Thanks for your effort in updating packages! I think you can push at
your own discretion once it passes QA, or after a waiting period of one
week if it has not been picked up by QA and all dependent packages build
locally on x86_64.

> For guix, it also simplifies the package graph as Hugin depends on both
> openexr 3 and 2 by different inputs.

Ah, that sounds bad, and like a source of bugs indeed!

Andreas