Subject: [bug#77350] More OpenEXR 2 to 3 migration

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2025 00:16:19 +0200

Hello Vinicius,

I have independently worked on vigra/hugin during the last days, and
actually pushed an update of vigra to 1.11.2 today (I wanted to do the
most conservative update possible to ensure depending packages still
build and not go down the rabbit hole).

Right now I am updating to 1.12.2 and will push once I have made sure
that all dependents still build. The aarch64 package also builds.
I have not moved to openexr@3 and have also not removed ilmbase; what is
the motivation for this latest change? However I am building with
python-numpy@2, which has been made possible in the 1.12 release.
Could you wait a day or two and then maybe adapt your changes to the new
package?

I also tried to update hugin, but gave up when I noticed that it would not
even start. Actually the current hugin with the previous vigra also does
not start (it opens a window with an error message). Could you maybe
give it a try?

The issue has been treated by QA, and there is an openexr related
problem in vigra-c:
   https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org/build/5b70b1d1-2bba-4e60-b131-743f037c197f/log
This project has seen its latest commit in 2022, and may not be ready
for a newer openexr version. We might consider removing it, but there is
a depending package, guile-cv. This package is also not very actively
developed:
   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile-cv.git
Removing these two packages might be an option, but would make sense
mainly if it enables us to get rid of openexr@2.

Thanks,

Andreas