Subject: bug#77348: 30.1; cl-labels

From: Devon Sean McCullough <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2025 18:10:16 -0500

Instrument the following forms for edebug,
e.g., by C-u M-x eval-defun RET
with point on the form.

(cl-labels ((foo (bar))))
;; (error "Eager macro-expansion failure: (error \"Invalid argument 
name: 1\")")

;; should work same as
(cl-labels ((foo (bar) nil)))
;; nil after manually stepping

		Peace
			--Devon

P.S.  Especially troubling is this variation which fails to manifest the 
bug:

(cl-labels ((foo (function))))
;; nil after manually stepping

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0, NS appkit-1671.60
  Version 10.14.6 (Build 18G9323)) of 2025-02-24 built on
  builder10-14.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1671
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.14.6

Configured using:
  'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
  -DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   indent-tabs-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree
cl-print byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-seq cl-macs gv edebug debug
backtrace help-mode find-func time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 59975 9228) (symbols 48 7064 0) (strings 32 17818 1774)
  (string-bytes 1 468489) (vectors 16 13053)
  (vector-slots 8 143071 8790) (floats 8 27 33) (intervals 56 615 18)
  (buffers 992 12))