Subject: bug#7734: 23.2; lose of focus to edit buffer

From: Rajinder Yadav <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 11:13:50 -0500

From: Rajinder Yadav 
<[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.2; lose of focus to edit buffer
--text follows this line--

this is a very consistent and annoying bug, i've been dealing with for a
while!

when i click on another window (outside of emacs) and then click back on 
emacs, i am unable to type anything in the edit buffer, it basically 
seems like emacs is hung! there is no response with any key-binding etc.

what i have to do is click on the menubar and then click inside the edit
buffer and i am able to type again.

i've notice for some reason the toolbar gets the keyboard focus when
this happen and it will not let go? i can use the left/right cursor keys
and i see an underline move (see attached pic, underline is on new file)

I am using kubuntu 10.10 x86_64, this only seem to happen with I guess 
KDE? I also use xubuntu on my laptop and I never see this bug.

it's enough to make me want to stop using emacs, i am sure there are 
many others who have tried and stop using emacs thinking it kept hanging 
or crashing and wrote it off as useless

Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)
  of 2010-11-11 on Six9
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10900000
Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Term

Minor modes in effect:
   yas/global-mode: t
   ecb-minor-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-3> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<C-delete> <help-echo> <C-delete> C-x 1 <C-delete>
<C-delete> <f12> <f12> <f12> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <tools> <ede> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <tools> <semantic> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <tools> <ede> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<tools> <Start Code Browser (ECB)> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<tools> <compile> C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <ECB> <Redraw layout> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> M-! C-g M-! C-g s-1 s-2 C-g s-1 s-2 s-3 <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> s-w s-e s-1 <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-g M-! g + + S-SPC - W a l l SPC - o SPC
h e l l o SPC h e l l o . c p p <return> C-z <return>
l s <return> l s SPC - l <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> . / h e <tab> <return> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-4>
<mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4>
<double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
ECB redrawing layout...done
Quit [3 times]
s-1 is undefined
s-2 is undefined
Quit
s-3 is undefined
s-e is undefined
Quit [2 times]
(Shell command succeeded with no output) [2 times]
byte-code: End of buffer
byte-code: Beginning of buffer

Load-path shadows:
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/ezimage hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/ezimage
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/speedbar/dframe hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/dframe
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/speedbar/speedbar hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/speedbar
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/speedbar/sb-image hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/sb-image
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-opt hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-opt
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-base hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-base
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-comp hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-comp
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/chart hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/chart
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-datadebug hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-datadebug
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-speedbar hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-speedbar
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-custom hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-custom
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/ede/ede hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/ede
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-global hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-global
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-idutils hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-idutils
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/pulse hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/pulse
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-files hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-files
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/mode-local hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/mode-local
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/data-debug hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/data-debug
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/semantic/semantic hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/semantic
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/srecode/srecode hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/srecode
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/inversion hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/inversion
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-cscope hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-cscope

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader
gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader
canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug term disp-table ehelp
electric semantic-analyze-complete semanticdb-typecache
semantic-tag-file semantic-tag-ls semanticdb-file cedet-files semantic-c
semantic-gcc semantic-dep semantic-decorate-include
semantic-decorate-mode semantic-decorate pulse hideif semantic-c-by
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs newcomment rails-lib list-ext files-ext string-ext inf-ruby
ruby-mode cus-edit cus-start cus-load ede-linux ede-emacs ede-cpp-root
ede-dired dired semantic-el semantic-bovine bovine-debug semantic-debug
ecb-layout-defs org-install yasnippet dropdown-list easy-mmode smarttabs
rails-autoload ido ecb ecb-symboldef ecb-analyse ecb-compatibility
ecb-winman-support ecb-autogen autoload ecb-tod ecb-cycle ecb-eshell
ecb-help ecb-jde ecb-method-browser hideshow ecb-file-browser ecb-layout
compile comint ecb-create-layout edmacro kmacro ecb-compilation
ecb-speedbar ecb-common-browser ecb-cedet-wrapper ecb-navigate
ecb-mode-line ecb-face tree-buffer regexp-opt ecb-upgrade ecb-util
thingatpt silentcomp srecode-mode cogre-srecode semantic-edit
srecode-template-mode srecode-template srecode-template-wy wisent-comp
semantic-wisent wisent srecode-map srecode-insert srecode-fields
srecode-args srecode-dictionary srecode-find srecode-ctxt
srecode-compile srecode-table semantic-mru-bookmark semanticdb-mode
semantic-idle eldoc senator warnings which-func semantic-imenu
semantic-sb imenu cedet cedet-contrib-load contrib-loaddefs cogre-load
cogre-loaddefs speedbar-load speedbar-loaddefs ede-load ede-loaddefs
ede-speedbar ede-files ede ede-base eieio-datadebug data-debug ring
ede-auto eieio-speedbar semantic-ia-sb semantic-analyze semantic-scope
semantic-analyze-fcn semanticdb-find semanticdb-ref semantic-find
semantic-sort semanticdb-el eieio-opt semanticdb semantic-lex-spp
semantic-ctxt semantic-format semantic-util-modes semantic-util semantic
semantic-lex semantic-tag working fame speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
easymenu assoc eieio-custom wid-edit ede-source eieio-base srecode-load
srecode srecode-loaddefs semantic-load semantic-fw semantic-loaddefs
mode-local find-func derived eieio-load eieio-loaddefs cedet-load
cedet-compat cedet-loaddefs eieio advice help-fns advice-preload
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile eieio-comp inversion cl cl-19 tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind font-render-setting gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)