Subject: bug#77323: [PATCH] Allow temp buffer cleanup in ediff-current-file

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2025 05:05:39 +0200

Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:

> Given that you have a solution to your original problem and there is
> the problem of all these variables, I think we should close this bug,
> but I'll give Michael a chance to chime in first.

I'm not a heavy Ediff user, so don't take my words too seriously.  In
general the whole Ediff thing is partially quite hard to configure, in
my opinion, if what you want had not been anticipated by the author(s).
This here is not the only case.

My thoughts here are: we should consider that the buffers we speak about
(containing the saved version of the file) might be useful to some
users.  Maybe equally useful as other buffers we silently keep.

Apart from that, this case doesn't really fit into any other case that
handles automatically created buffers.  Although -
`ediff-dispose-of-variant-according-to-user' is not only about indirect
buffers, right?  We could marry this case with this existing mechanism.
Would that make some sense?

And apart from that, adding a STARTUP-HOOKS argument to
`ediff-current-file' looks acceptable to me, although it would have no
direct uses in Emacs currently.  I don't like it when users are forced
to use really bad hacks to change the behavior of such cases.

Michael.