Subject: 29.3; Emacs eshell password prompt is in clear text

From: Daniel de Castro Victoria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 14:33:42 -0300

While using eshell to issue some git commands I noticed that the password
prompt is not masking the characters. My passwords appear as clear text.
Bellow is a copy/paste from my eshell terminal (I just masked some info)

-------
Welcome to the Emacs shell

~ $ cd projetos
~/projetos $ cd zoneamento/modelos/rAgS/
~/projetos/zoneamento/modelos/rAgS $ git status
On branch interface
Your branch is up to date with 'origin/interface'.

nothing to commit, working tree clean
~/projetos/zoneamento/modelos/rAgS $ git fetch
Username for 'https://www.gitlab.xxxxx.xxxxxx.br': mXXXXX
Password for 'https://[email-masked]': my pass is
clearText
--------------------

I found this discussion on the email archives but I'm not sure how to make
the changes. I'm new emacs user

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2014-01/msg00569.html

Thanks

Bellow is my system information:

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-04-01, modified by Debian built on
 lcy02-amd64-083
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Ubuntu 24.04.2 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-0yuuFP/emacs-29.3+1=.
-fstack-protector-strong
 -fstack-clash-protection -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fcf-protection
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs-0yuuFP/emacs-29.3+1=/usr/src/emacs-1:29.3+1-1ubuntu2
 -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: pt_BR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  ess-r-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/m330625/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-20250108.1351/transient hides
/usr/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils pcmpl-git vc-git vc-dispatcher pcmpl-unix em-unix
em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred
em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs esh-var em-basic em-banner em-alias
esh-mode cus-start company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files
company-clang company-cmake company-semantic company-template
company-bbdb spolsky-theme sublime-themes use-package-core ob-R org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp
ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys
oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version
org-compat org-macs ess-r-mode ess-r-flymake ess-r-xref ess-trns
ess-r-package ess-r-completion ess-roxy ess-r-syntax ess-rd noutline
outline ess-s-lang ess-help ess-mode ess-inf ess-tracebug comp comp-cstr
tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date format-spec ess lisp-mnt
ess-utils ess-custom cl-extra yasnippet highlight-indentation
flymake-proc flymake warnings thingatpt company-capf company help-fns
radix-tree help-mode elpy advice elpy-rpc pyvenv eshell esh-cmd esh-ext
esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module esh-groups esh-util
elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor diff-mode easy-mmode
python rx compat compat-30 treesit ido hideshow grep compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color files-x etags fileloop
generator xref project ring cus-edit pp cus-load icons wid-edit
finder-inf docker-autoloads aio-autoloads docker-compose-mode-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads elpy-autoloads company-autoloads ess-autoloads
highlight-indentation-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase
magit-section-autoloads dash-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
s-autoloads sublime-themes-autoloads tablist-autoloads
transient-autoloads with-editor-autoloads info compat-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads zenburn-theme-autoloads package
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache
json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs
cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty
make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 523538 25388)
 (symbols 48 31912 0)
 (strings 32 165201 5888)
 (string-bytes 1 4496381)
 (vectors 16 53553)
 (vector-slots 8 957247 27531)
 (floats 8 226 288)
 (intervals 56 948 411)
 (buffers 984 16))

-- 
Daniel de Castro Victoria
Pesquisador
Embrapa Agricultura Digital
Empresa Brasileira de Pesquisa Agropecuária (Embrapa)
Campinas/SP

-- 
__________________________
Aviso de confidencialidade

Esta mensagem da 
Empresa  Brasileira de Pesquisa  Agropecuaria (Embrapa), empresa publica 
federal  regida pelo disposto  na Lei Federal no. 5.851,  de 7 de dezembro 
de 1972,  e  enviada exclusivamente  a seu destinatario e pode conter 
informacoes  confidenciais, protegidas  por sigilo profissional.  Sua 
utilizacao desautorizada  e ilegal e  sujeita o infrator as penas da lei. 
Se voce  a recebeu indevidamente, queira, por gentileza, reenvia-la ao 
emitente, esclarecendo o equivoco.

Confidentiality note

This message from 
Empresa  Brasileira de Pesquisa  Agropecuaria (Embrapa), a government 
company  established under  Brazilian law (5.851/72), is directed 
exclusively to  its addressee  and may contain confidential data,  
protected under  professional secrecy  rules. Its unauthorized  use is 
illegal and  may subject the transgressor to the law's penalties. If you 
are not the addressee, please send it back, elucidating the failure.