Subject: Re: bug#77313: 30.1.50; Regression: flymake indicators are erroneously using margins

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 18:14:27 +0200

> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 11:13:44 -0400
> From:  Spencer Baugh via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> The addition of margin-based flymake indicators in Emacs 30 (for use in
> terminal frames) also led to a regression: the margin-based indicators
> are uglier and should not be used when not necessary, but the code for
> determining the default for flymake-indicator-type was wrong and caused
> margin indicators to be used sometimes on graphical frames.

Please tell how that could or did happen.

> The simplest fix, suitable for backporting, is to always default to
> fringes.

Which means there will be no indicators on TTY frames, right?

If you don't like the default for a user option, you can easily
customize it locally.  But why make that change for everyone?  Options
are options so that they could be easily adapted to local needs.

At this point, I see no evidence that any change is needed.  But maybe
if you tell more about the problems you encountered, I will change my
mind.