Subject: bug#77313: 30.1.50; Regression: flymake indicators are erroneously using margins

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2025 10:11:33 +0300

> From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 16:34:16 -0400
> 
> Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > There are many improvements developed in Emacs 31 for flymake margins
> > in bug#75841 and bug#76254.  But maybe better indeed to change
> > the default in Emacs 30.2 (with no merge to master).
> 
> Yes, that's what I was suggesting, not merging to master.

You are saying that this problem doesn't exist on master?  If so,
perhaps we should consider backporting some of the changes on master
to emacs-30 (if that's feasible)?

> Anyway, how about this patch, which changes the default so that the
> fringe vs margin decision is made in a per-frame way?

I think it's the correct direction, but wouldn't it be easier to make
this a frame parameter instead?  Then the defcustom could be nil by
default, and if it's non-nil, it would override the frame parameter.
The bonus will be that users will be able to define different styles
even for frames of the same type.  Another bonus is that the
frame-parameter machinery is well-tested, so the change will be a
low-risk one.

WDYT?