Subject: bug#77299: eww-auto-rename-buffer 'title interaction with eww-readable-urls

From: Keith Amidon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2025 17:34:21 -0700

On 6/19/25 12:27, Jim Porter wrote:
> How about these patches? One for the master branch, and one for emacs 30.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get to trying out either of the 
patches yet, though the emac30 patch looks trivially correct. I hope to 
get to it before next Monday.

However, I do want to briefly discuss the decision to make the emacs 30 
workaround conditional on eww-auto-rename-buffer having the value 
'title. This does minimize the situations in which the additional 
rendering is done, which is desirable. However, I think it will push 
people who might not have that setting to make it to enable other 
functionality that doesn't work properly when the title of the web page 
is unknown. For example, eww-list-histories does not show page titles 
and org-store-link captures links with unusable link text (because it 
uses the title). I'm happy to accept that tradeoff as a way of 
minimizing the risk of the changes to the current release if everyone 
agrees with it.

Thanks again for putting together these fixes. I'm especially looking 
forward to the improved version for emacs 31! I'll post another update 
after I've tried that out.