Subject: Re: [bug#77288] [PATCH 6/6] DRAFT news: Add entry about unprivileged guix-daemon on Guix System.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 14:38:54 +0100

Hi Florian,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Rootless daemon is an important change, though I have not tested yet...
>
> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>> +Eventually running @command{guix-daemon} without root privileges may become
>> +the default.")))
>> +
>
> I dislike the word “may” in this last sentence.  How about “likely
> will” or some such thing, even if we have not reviewed bugfreeness of
> Linux here?

Sure; I view “may” and “likely will” as synonymous, but maybe there are
subtleties that escape me.

> Can you tell foreign distro users about their rootless options in the
> news, too?

This news item is specifically about Guix System (announced upfront),
but I guess we can add a sentence toward the end.  (Thing is, the
situation will be simpler on foreign distros: we won’t support switching
between privileged and unprivileged, so either you get one or the
other.)

Thanks for the comments and for the translation!

Ludo’.