Subject: Re: [bug#77288] [PATCH 6/6] DRAFT news: Add entry about unprivileged guix-daemon on Guix System.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 14:27:33 +0100

Rootless daemon is an important change, though I have not tested yet...

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
> +Eventually running @command{guix-daemon} without root privileges may become
> +the default.")))
> +

I dislike the word “may” in this last sentence.  How about “likely
will” or some such thing, even if we have not reviewed bugfreeness of
Linux here?

Can you tell foreign distro users about their rootless options in the
news, too?

Could you add this German translation?

 (entry (commit "XXX")
        (title
         (en "Guix System can run @command{guix-daemon} without root
privileges")
         (de "Guix System kann @command{guix-daemon} ohne root-Berechtigungen
ausführen"))
        (body
         (en "On Guix System, @code{guix-service-type} can now be configured
to run the build daemon, @command{guix-daemon}, without root privileges.  In
that configuration, the daemon runs with the authority of the
@code{guix-daemon} user, which we think can reduce the impact of some classes
of vulnerabilities that could affect it.

For now, this is opt-in: you have to change @code{guix-configuration} to set
the @code{privileged?} field to @code{#f}.  When you do this, all the files in
@file{/gnu/store}, @file{/var/guix}, etc. will have their ownership changed to
the @code{guix-daemon} user (instead of @code{root}); this can take a while,
especially if the store is big.  To learn more about it, run:

@example
info guix --index-search=guix-service-type
@end example

Eventually running @command{guix-daemon} without root privileges may become
the default.")
         (de "Auf Guix System kann @code{guix-service-type} jetzt so
konfiguriert werden, dass der Erstellungs-Daemon @command{guix-daemon} ohne
root-Berechtigungen ausgeführt wird.  In dieser Konfiguration läuft der Daemon
mit den Berechtigungen des Benutzers @code{guix-daemon}, wovon wir glauben,
dass es die Auswirkungen mancher Schwachstellen-Kategorien verringert, die ihn
betreffen könnten.

Fürs Erste bleibt es Ihnen überlassen: Sie müssen @code{guix-configuration}
anpassen und dort das Feld @code{privileged?} auf @code{#f} setzen. Wenn Sie
das tun, wird der Besitzer aller Dateien in @file{/gnu/store},
@file{/var/guix}, usw.@: auf den Benutzer @code{guix-daemon} geändert (anstelle
von @code{root}); das kann eine Weile dauern, besonders wenn der Store groß
ist.  Um mehr zu erfahren, führen Sie aus:

@example
info guix --index-search=guix-service-type
@end example

Schließlich wird das Ausführen von @command{guix-daemon} ohne
root-Berechtigungen vielleicht die Vorgabe werden.")))

Regards,
Florian