Subject: Re: [bug#77288] [PATCH v2 2/8] doc: Document migration to the unprivileged daemon.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2025 16:46:07 +0200

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> * doc/guix.texi (Build Environment Setup): Add “Migrating to the
>> Unprivileged Daemon” section.
>> (Upgrading Guix): Link to it.
>
> [...]
>
> It looks good to me, but I was wondering if this wouldn't fit better in
> a etc/news.scm entry, or blog post, since it's a section which will
> eventually be obsolete, as more and more systems are installed out of the
> box with the unprivileged daemon.

I think it’s better this way because it will probably be a long process,
and because it’s good to be able to point people to a page in the
manual.

> A couple of related questions: are Guix Systems already automatically
> handled to run the daemon unprivileged now?  Is this just for foreign
> systems?  Is the guix-install.sh script able to setup the daemon for
> unprivileged execution now?

This patch series is initially about migration on Guix System only, but
following a suggestion by Florian and also requests from others
wondering how to migrate on foreign distros, I thought I’d also include
this here.

Thanks,
Ludo’.