Subject: Re: bug#77283: Shepherd can't parse logs.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2025 23:17:04 +0200

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The code that throws that out-of-range exception on ‘substring’ is
> (match:substring m 3) in ‘parse-system-log-message’.
>
> Normally, ‘regexp-exec’ returns match structures with correct
> boundaries, but in this case it didn’t.  I reported it here:
>
>   https://issues.guix.gnu.org/77392

Fixed in d98d61a8a3f20de46d18ce4a8af05c93fab20b89 by sidestepping the
Guile bug.

>   1. Run shepherd in a UTF-8 locale; a quick workaround is to run:
>
>        sudo herd eval root '(setlocale LC_ALL "C.UTF-8")'

I recommend doing this while waiting for 1.0.4 to be out, normally in
less than a month.

Ludo’.