Subject: bug#7728: 24.0.50; GDB backtrace from abort

From: Sean Sieger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 16:46:48 -0500

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

    >     It could also be that this is the
    >     first time you are running a binary that was built with
    >     ENABLE_CHECKING defined: without that, the abort won't 
    >     happen at all.
    > 
    > For what it's worth, I've been configuring the binaries found in
    > http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows since the end of July.  So say,
    > since emacs-20100802.  Hope this helps; I've only been able to follow
    > what you are writing in passing.

    In case it helps I just checked, using a build I have from
    2010-07-19 and another from 2010-08-02.  The former does not crash;
    the latter does.  So if the difference between those two is
    ENABLE_CHECKING then this would lend support to Eli's hypothesis wrt
    ENABLE_CHECKING.

    These are those builds:

    In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
     of 2010-07-19 on 3249CTO
    Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
    configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
    -Ic:/xpm/include'

    In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
     of 2010-08-02 on 3249CTO
    Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
    
    configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
    -Ic:/xpm/include'

Right.

And thanks for overlooking the lacuna, `--enable-checking'.