Subject: Re: [bug#77266] [PATCH v2] gnu: Merge xorg configurations when extending.

From: Rutherther <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2025 09:10:21 +0200

Hi,

Ian Eure <[email-masked]> writes:

> Any other feedback on this?  Does the manual wording look good?

I am wondering about the "and must provide a complete configuration."
part in documentation. Is that really so after this patch? You can still
extend with other services, no? So it doesn't seem right to me it would
be necessary to use only set-xorg-configuration, it can be combined with
custom service that will append parts of the config.
At least if I am not missing anything here.

Additionally, I am wondering why do we have that limitation of just one
usage of set-xorg-configuration. I suppose the name 'set-xorg-configuration'
implies you set it, not append it, etc., but that's not really true
after changes from this patch. The limitation comes from the name of the service
that is created. So why not allow a new key/optional argument to set name of
the service, so that it can be used multiple times, and default it to
'set-xorg-configuration? On the other hand this is probably not so
important, I personally don't really see any gain in this
set-xorg-configuration when user's can just extend the appropriate
service instead, so it doesn't seem to me that big of a deal to change it.

Best regards,
Rutherther