Subject: Re: bug#7726: reveal-mode bypassed by compile-goto-error

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:12:57 -0500

>>>>> If I use compile-goto-error from a grep-mode buffer to a org-mode
>>>>> buffer where the destination line is in a hidden outline then the
>>>>> outline will not be revealed until after next command.
>>>> also, goto-line is unable to reach line in an outline based buffer.
>>>> See in anything and ioccur, it is fixed for org-mode and
>>>> outline-minor-mode.
>>>> Is there other modes based on outline to handle?
>>> Anyone have a test case?
>> I think the problem is that reveal-mode runs from post-command-hook and
>> reveals what's in the buffer that's current when post-command-hook is
>> run, whereas in the above cases, the buffer that needs revealing is not
>> current at that point.
>> That's one of the cases where we could use something like
>> a "pre-redisplay-hook".
> Isn't it more like post-post-command-hook?

No I really meant pre-redisplay-hook.  I don't see why
post-post-command-hook would have anything to do with this problem.
E.g. I think a case that needs to work is when you're in the *compile*
buffer and select one entry to display the source but while staying in
the *compile* buffer: the current buffer before and after the command is
*compile*, so no amount of post/pre-command-hooks can tell you that some
other buffer needs revealing.

        Stefan