Subject: 30.1; Native-comp causing large memory leak

From: N Winkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2025 16:23:49 +0100

Evaluating the following snippet in 'emacs -Q' after removing any
relevant eln-cache gives me memory leaks that don't seem to have
an upper limit (largest I've had before killing was 10G):

(require 'package)
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . 
"https://melpa.org/packages/") t)
(package-initialize)

(use-package smartparens
:config (require 'smartparens-config))

(defun +select-buffer-in-side-window (buffer alist)
"Display BUFFER in a side window and select it, ALIST controls where it 
opens."
(let ((window (display-buffer-in-side-window buffer alist)))
(select-window window)))
(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
'("\\*\\(?:Warnings\\|Compile-Log\\|Messages\\)\\*"
(+select-buffer-in-side-window)))

This opens a Warnings popup buffer that displays "🚫 Warning 
(native-compiler): "
many times over with a single bit of information that is only sometimes 
visible:
"smartparens-config.el:96:24: Warning the function 
'org-element-property' is not
known to be defined." which doesn't seem relevant. Here's a link to a 
screenshot
after evaluation: https://winkel.wolkesicher.de/index.php/s/HNTcdQMLCWNJ7Zq

Any interaction with the window after evaluating the snippet freezes the
window, but cpu (100% on a single core) and memory usage continue, with
memory rising at what appears to be a steady rate. The first couple
seconds have separate processes that have high memory usage, but after
that it all goes to the main 'emacs -Q' process.
On my system it reaches over 2G within 3min.

Adding (run-with-timer 0 10 'malloc-trim) does not seem to help, nor
does adding (malloc-trim) between statements.

In GNU Emacs 30.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.49,
cairo version 1.18.4)
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
'configure --with-pgtk --sysconfdir=/etc --prefix=/usr
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var --disable-build-details
--with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd --with-modules
--with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64
-mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3
-Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection
-fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -g
-ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto'
'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,relro
-Wl,-z,now -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -flto=auto'
'CXXFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions
-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=3 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
-fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -fno-omit-frame-pointer
-mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -g
-ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs/src=/usr/src/debug/emacs -flto=auto''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 48924 9857) (symbols 48 5332 0) (strings 32 13938 1128)
(string-bytes 1 456835) (vectors 16 9042)
(vector-slots 8 126048 10856) (floats 8 22 2) (intervals 56 276 0)
(buffers 992 10))