Subject: Re: bug#77228: [PATCH] ; * lisp/cus-edit.el (custom-dirlocals-with-buffer): Use Custom-mode

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2025 06:33:40 -0300

Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]> writes:

 > Tags: patch
 >
 > Little patch for make customize-dirlocals use Custom-mode instead
 > fundamental-mode, Mostly intended for make this inherit and use
 > Custom-mode-hook.
 >
 > I have tested it and at the moment it does not cause problems with the
 > configuration made.

Yes, I don't anticipate any real problems, but just using Custom-mode is
almost entirely redundant since some of the settings that it performs
are not relevant, and others get clobbered right away.

Overriden:
custom-mode-map, tool-bar-map, revert-buffer-function.

Not relevant:
custom--invocation-options, custom--hidden-state, custom-options,
custom-local-buffer, widget-edit-functions.

Redundant:
custom--initialize-widget-variables.

That just leaves us with the text-conversion-style and
touch-screen-keyboard-function settings, which my guess is that they
should've been added to custom-dirlocals-with-buffer too, and of course,
running Custom-mode-hook.

So I think it'd be better either to derive from Custom-mode, or find a
way to avoid the redundant settings.