Subject: Re: bug#77228: [PATCH] ; * lisp/cus-edit.el (custom-dirlocals-with-buffer): Use Custom-mode

From: Mauro Aranda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2025 07:07:15 -0300

On 2/4/25 21:26, Elijah Gabe Pérez wrote: > > Mauro Aranda 
<[email-masked]> writes: > > Elijah Gabe Pérez 
<[email-masked]> writes: > > Tags: patch > > Little patch for make 
customize-dirlocals use Custom-mode instead > fundamental-mode, Mostly 
intended for make this inherit and use > Custom-mode-hook. > > I have 
tested it and at the moment it does not cause problems with the > 
configuration made. > > > Yes, I don't anticipate any real problems, but 
just using Custom-mode is > almost entirely redundant since some of the 
settings that it performs > are not relevant, and others get clobbered 
right away. > > Overriden: > custom-mode-map, tool-bar-map, 
revert-buffer-function. > > Not relevant: > custom–invocation-options, 
custom–hidden-state, custom-options, > custom-local-buffer, 
widget-edit-functions. > > Redundant: > 
custom–initialize-widget-variables. > > > That just leaves us with the 
text-conversion-style and > touch-screen-keyboard-function settings, 
which my guess is that they > should've been added to 
custom-dirlocals-with-buffer too, and of course, > running 
Custom-mode-hook. > > So I think it'd be better either to derive from 
Custom-mode, or find a > way to avoid the redundant settings. > > But 
making it derived won't include Custom-mode options anyway? Yes, but we 
could arrange for Custom-mode to set the right values, I think. Although 
maybe it's not worth it. > I made it a major mode but not derived from 
it. > I've included the Custom-mode options that are useful (as you 
pointed) > and run Custom-mode-hook. Anyway, I'm OK with this. Maybe we 
can use derived-mode-add-parents to be clear that we consider 
Custom-mode a parent of this new mode. Some comments below: >>From 
6510e3f7f68289c99e80426e3c76b8268661fa8a Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001 > 
From: =?UTF-8?q?El=C3=ADas=20Gabriel=20P=C3=A9rez?= <[email-masked]> 
 > Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2025 21:26:26 -0600 > Subject: [PATCH] Create major 
mode for `customize-dirlocals` (bug#77228) > > * lisp/cus-edit.el 
(Custom-dirlocals-mode): New major mode. > 
(custom-dirlocals-with-buffer): Move stuffs to > 
`Custom-dirlocals-mode'. "stuff". > --- > lisp/cus-edit.el | 39 
++++++++++++++++++++++++--------------- > 1 file changed, 24 
insertions(+), 15 deletions(-) > > diff --git a/lisp/cus-edit.el 
b/lisp/cus-edit.el > index ecfce03e490..a0d21fee571 100644 > --- 
a/lisp/cus-edit.el > +++ b/lisp/cus-edit.el > @@ -6060,31 +6060,40 @@ 
custom-dirlocals--set-widget-vars > 
(custom--initialize-widget-variables) > (add-hook 'widget-forward-hook 
#'custom-dirlocals-maybe-update-cons nil t)) > > +(define-derived-mode 
Custom-dirlocals-mode nil "Custom dirlocals" > + "Major mode for 
Customize Directory Local Variables in the current directory." Please 
mention that it runs Custom-mode-hook too. Let's see if somebody else 
has an opinion. I'm on a trip for the weekend, so it won't be until next 
week that I can install this.