Subject: bug#77224: [PATCH] New minor mode 'cursor-indicators-mode'

From: Elijah Gabe Pérez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 12:27:22 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> > Anyway, I think making the cursor change from a mode hook is a better
>> > solution.

>> As has been mentioned, the problem is that not every scenario is covered
>> by hooks, while the PCH is a potentially universal solution which can
>> check arbitrary conditions. But if hooks work sufficiently well for most
>> scenarios, then why not.

> If there are cases that this indication supports but there's no mode
> hook for them, let's discuss those cases one by one and see how to
> solve them.  I see overwrite-mode, read-only-mode, and input-method
> activation, all of which have hooks, AFAIR.

But the problem with using hooks is that modes sometimes defines a
specific name for hook or use different hooks for that, for example
overwrite-mode only defines overwrite-mode-hook, however input-method
defines input-method-activate-hook and input-method-deactivate-hook or
mark/region have activate-mark-hook and deactivate-mark-hook.

-- 
                                          - E.G via GNU Emacs and Org.