Subject: bug#77224: [PATCH] New minor mode 'cursor-indicators-mode'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 18:29:59 +0200

> From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 17:04:09 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I disagree that the cursor must change "immediately", in the rigorous
> > sense of that word.  I think if it changes after 10 or 20 or 50
> > milliseconds, that's "immediately" for any practical purpose.
> 
> No, 50ms are not acceptable for the user if they except an immediate
> response to a key press.

50ms was just an example, and it is actually quite improbable to be
that large.

post-command-hook is run by the same loop that decides that Emacs is
idle and runs timers, so the difference in practice should be very
small if at all.

> Regarding Emacs sluggishness, the `cursor-indicators-mode' is an
> optional mode. If it increases sluggishness unnacceptably (which it
> won't), users can turn it off.

Experience shows that many users turn on a lot of features which rely
on post-command-hook, and then complain that Emacs is slow to respond.
Telling them to turn off features they like doesn't really work.

Anyway, I think making the cursor change from a mode hook is a better
solution.