Subject: Re: bug#77224: [PATCH] New minor mode 'cursor-indicators-mode'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 13:41:10 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 13:14:45 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > I see your point about sluggishness and I am very careful myself to not
> > enable modes which add expensive computations to the
> > `post-command-hook'. Nevertheless in this case using the
> > `post-command-hook' is the right thing, such that the `cursor-type' is
> > changed effective immediately, as had been done before in CUA, see
> > `cua--post-command-handler-1'. The computation in this case is not
> > expensive.
> 
> I disagree that the cursor must change "immediately", in the rigorous
> sense of that word.  I think if it changes after 10 or 20 or 50
> milliseconds, that's "immediately" for any practical purpose.

Btw, a possibly even better way is to modify the cursor looks from the
hooks of the relevant commands, like overwrite-mode.  If some of them
don't have a hook, we could add a hook.  This is better because it
doesn't unnecessarily "punish" Emacs anywhere else, only the commands
that could affect the cursor.

Does this make sense?