Subject: bug#77224: [PATCH] New minor mode 'cursor-indicators-mode'

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2025 09:32:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2025 08:52:09 +0100
>> 
>> The `hl-line-highlight' moves the line highlight overlay, such that it
>> moves immediately with the cursor and does not lag behind.
>
> You may not be aware, but moving and changing overlays disables some
> redisplay optimizations, and in many cases can trigger an additional
> immediate redisplay cycle.  So doing that after every command exits
> in practice means every redisplay cycle is adversely affected.

I am aware. What do you suggest as an alternative? It would look odd if
the `hl-line-overlay' would not move directly with the cursor and would
lag behind.

Some specialized code could handle this overlay such that it is treated
more efficiently together with the cursor itself. But in practice not
much would be won given that the `hl-line-overlay' has never caused
noticeable problems. Maybe it has for others and likely in files with
very long lines? For files with long lines I still use `so-long-mode'.

Daniel