Subject: bug#77217: 31.0.50; cursor stuck on long image under display-line-numbers-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Yifan Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2025 11:45:12 -0700

--text follows this line--

emacs -Q test.txt (attached)
insert image (long.png, attached) after last word in second line, no space
(set-frame-size (selected-frame) 80 36)
increase size (ctrl+scroll) (see reference.png, attached)
move cursor to bottom and try to move cursor back up
cursor gets stuck at the image

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 22, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.49, cairo version 1.18.4)
Repository revision: 9e005e9da06f71441e643f7ecbe309e35f68680a
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
'configure --with-pgtk --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var
--disable-build-details --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-libsystemd
--with-modules --with-native-compilation=aot --with-tree-sitter
'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' LDFLAGS=-ggdb3
--prefix=/home/yifan/packages/emacs-git/build
--exec-prefix=/home/yifan/packages/emacs-git/build'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
text-scale-mode: t
display-line-numbers-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
visual-line-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap compile
text-property-search comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run bytecomp
byte-compile comp-common rx time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib
display-line-numbers rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow
isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk pgtk
lcms2 multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 67339 20133) (symbols 48 6859 0) (strings 32 17412 2459)
(string-bytes 1 703591) (vectors 16 10908)
(vector-slots 8 151951 9248) (floats 8 28 20) (intervals 56 284 0)
(buffers 992 14))