Subject: 31.0.50; forward-word fails after yanking into summary line of *vc-log*

From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2025 02:15:58 +0100

If we yank text into the summary line of a *vc-log* buffer, then with
point at beginning of line, forward-word fails.

To reproduce, use vc-next-action (C-x v v) to arrive at a *vc-log*
buffer.  With point after "Summary:", evaluate

(progn
  (insert "text")
  (log-edit-beginning-of-line)
  (forward-word))

This leaves point before "text".  It should instead be after.

There is no issue if we manually type "text".

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 2, aarch64-apple-darwin24.1.0, NS
 appkit-2575.20 Version 15.1.1 (Build 24B91)) of 2025-02-27 built on
 d51735
Repository revision: f4c8b889c148265cbfb33d2fe4f080639543897f
Repository branch: working
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2575
System Description:  macOS 15.1.1

Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --with-native-compilation --with-tree-sitter
 --with-gif --with-png --with-jpeg --with-rsvg --with-tiff
 --with-imagemagick --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets'

Configured features:
ACL DBUS GLIB GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/pulse hides /Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/cedet/pulse
/Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/mail/hashcash hides /Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/obsolete/hashcash
/Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/kermit hides /Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/obsolete/kermit
/Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/cdl hides /Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/obsolete/cdl
/Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/echistory hides /Users/au710211/gnu-emacs/lisp/obsolete/echistory

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings icons compile comint ansi-osc ansi-color
emacsbug lisp-mnt misearch multi-isearch smerge-mode diff vc-hg vc-git
diff-mode track-changes files-x vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs
vc-rcs log-view log-edit message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util
text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader ring add-log easy-mmode
pcvs-util vc vc-dispatcher comp-run bytecomp byte-compile comp-common rx
dired-aux cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs rmc iso-transl tooltip
cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize mule-util
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads xwidget-internal dbusbind kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process tty-child-frames native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 146906 11082) (symbols 48 19856 0) (strings 32 47334 2700)
 (string-bytes 1 1005449) (vectors 16 15012)
 (vector-slots 8 196289 10107) (floats 8 31 137) (intervals 56 1522 0)
 (buffers 992 21))