Subject: Re: bug#77197: 31.0.50; forward-word fails after yanking into summary line of *vc-log*

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2025 13:39:54 -0400

> The change Lars made, where he added the 'field' and 'rear-nonsticky'
> properties, was _after_ the addition by Stefan of 'rear-nonsticky' to
> font-lock-extra-managed-props, so perhaps Lars was unaware that
> font-lock will remove the property right away?
>
> Stefan, any suggestions for how to fix this?

The use of `font-lock-extra-managed-props` is a crude hack to try and
make sure the property doesn't remain when the separator line becomes
something else.  This is somewhat important for
`display-line-numbers-disable` but much less so for `rear-nonsticky`.

The simplest solution is probably to just remove that `cl-pushnew`
altogether: the risk of the `rear-nonsticky` text-property causing
problems because it lingered where it shouldn't have is vanishingly
small, especially compared to the very concrete problem at hand.

If we want to be super extra careful, then one solution is to add extra
code that looks for the `display-line-numbers-disable` property and
removes the `rear-nonsticky` property on the character(s) that have it.

        Stefan