Subject: 31.0.50; describe-package: Duplicate installed versions and incorrect Install button state

From: david <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2025 13:42:21 -0400

Hi Emacs developers,

I found a bug in the `describe-package` interface.  Here are the steps
to reproduce it:

1. Open Emacs and run `M-x list-packages RET`.
2. Click on a package that is already installed (Status: Installed).
3. In the "Other versions" section, click on the same version that is
   already installed.
4. The package description now shows "Install" even though the package
   is already installed.
5. If you click "Install", the package is reinstalled, and the "Other
   versions" section shows the same version twice as installed.

The same behavior occurs for packages with Status: dependency.  The
difference is that when you click "Install" in `describe-package`, the
package changes its status in `list-packages` from "dependency" to
"installed".  Additionally, the package appears duplicated in the "Other
versions" section.  However, after restarting Emacs, the package returns
to its original "dependency" status in `list-packages`.

Expected behavior:
- The "Install" button should not be shown if the package is already
  installed.  Alternatively, the button could be renamed to "Reinstall"
  or replaced with a "Delete" button to better reflect the available
  actions for an already installed package.
- The "Other versions" section should not display duplicate entries for
  the same installed version.  If you click "Install" again, the package
  is overwritten, and a third duplicate entry appears as installed.

In GNU Emacs 31.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2025-03-16 built on fedora
Repository revision: eab14d68b2e72b9a6b8b0cc67c9667c2bfbed4f5
Repository branch: master
System Description: Fedora Linux 41 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-pgtk --with-tree-sitter
 --with-mailutils --with-sound=yes --with-pdumper=yes
 --with-dumping=pdumper --with-file-notification=yes --with-gnutls'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr ert ewoc debug backtrace org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-src sh-script smie treesit
executable ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities noutline outline ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-cycle org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-version org-compat org-macs
format-spec debbugs-gnu pcase add-log debbugs soap-client warnings
rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp xml debbugs-compat bug-reference
thingatpt info debbugs-autoloads easy-mmode loaddefs-gen radix-tree
tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode cl-extra help-mode misearch multi-isearch
mm-archive mule-util cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load wid-edit gnutls
network-stream url-cache url-http url-auth url-gw nsm
display-line-numbers finder-inf package browse-url xdg url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons json map byte-opt gv
url-vars emacsbug lisp-mnt message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring comp-run bytecomp byte-compile comp-common rx
time-date subr-x cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win touch-screen pgtk-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq
simple cl-generic indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button
loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
gtk pgtk multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process tty-child-frames
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 422845 65583) (symbols 48 20294 0) (strings 32 88877 8835)
 (string-bytes 1 2486247) (vectors 16 35552)
 (vector-slots 8 422683 21928) (floats 8 128 150)
 (intervals 56 25436 217) (buffers 992 17))