Subject: Re: bug#7718: 23.2.91; Info-isearch-search fails isearch

From: Leo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 08:39:57 +0000

On 2010-12-25 02:28 +0000, Juri Linkov wrote:
>>> Info-isearch-search does not implement the noerror arg because it just passes it
>>> unchanged to Info-search.  Do you mean Info-search should implement noerror for
>>> some non-interactive uses?  What it should do when noerror is non-nil?
>>
>> That's what I meant. Info-search doesn't implement noerror. I think it
>> should be like the default isearch search functions:
>> re-/search-forward/backward: Optional argument, if t, means if fail just
>> return nil (no error).
>
> But the whole logic of Isearch using Info-search is built on the
> assumption that Info-search ignores the noerror arg (that is usually t).
> This allow Isearch to fail in the initial Info node
> and to continue searching through other nodes without failing.

For users of isearch-search-string with non-nil noerror it will be a
surprise. For example, I use it before actual isearch to see if the
search is to fail (but don't err) and set things up accordingly. I found
it breaks down in info mode due to its ignoring noerror.

But it is fine if it has to remain that way. I will just wrap
isearch-search-string inside ignore-errors.

Leo