Subject: RE: bug#7716: 23.2.91; Pretest Windows binary doesn't support PNG images

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:21:12 -0800

> Maybe because the attachments make the message too big.  How about if
> you try reporting the bug without the attachments first, then respond
> to the bug report with several messages, one each with a single image
> file that fails to display.

Actually, there is _no_ bug (other than the PNG problem that you reported).
That is, with emacs -Q, I am able to see the images that I reported as not
seeing.

I first tried moving the GnuWin32 folder up my PATH hierarchy, after I
discovered that there were several zlib.dll's on my machine.  When I tried with
emacs -Q things were OK.  And the PATH position had no bearing on it.

With my setup I cannot see the images in question, for some reason, but with
emacs -Q I can see them OK.  Guess I'll have to do the binary-search-dot-emacs
dance to find out what the problem is...

Thinking that perhaps the problem was that I use (an old version of) Cygwin, and
that it has its own zlib etc., I tried setting up Cygwin after i started emacs
-Q, but image display still worked OK (modulo the PNG bug), so that's not the
problem.

Anyway, the good news is that there is no need to file a bug, unless I discover
later that the problem comes from Emacs (and not from some of my code).