Subject: bug#7716: 23.2.91; Pretest Windows binary doesn't support PNG images

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:36:51 -0800

> > Please report that as a separate bug, and attach one image file of
> > each kind that you cannot display.
> 
> Will do.

I've tried twice now.  I get a failure message from [email-masked] for
the address [email-masked].  Here is the returned message (below), minus
the encoded images.  Only two of the 3 encoded images seem to be present in the
returned mail, FWIW.

I had no trouble sending the same mail to Sean yesterday, with the same 3 images
plus 3 more.

HTH - Drew

-----------------8<-----------------------

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

  [email-masked]

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
------ The body of the message is 1502934 characters long; only the first
------ 106496 or so are included here.

oBOIRPtE018477
	(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=OK)
	for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:27:27 GMT
Received: from acsmt353.oracle.com (acsmt353.oracle.com [141.146.40.153])
	by rcsinet13.oracle.com (Switch-3.4.2/Switch-3.4.1) with ESMTP id
oBOI4bHU023052
	for <[email-masked]>; Fri, 24 Dec 2010 18:27:24 GMT
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: 24.0.50; cannot display any PNG and some JPG, GIF, TIFF
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 10:24:59 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01CBA354.D20FEAF0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

This message was returned to me.  I'm trying again, but without the images that
displayed OK, in hopes that the problem was just the total size of the
attachments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew Adams Sent: Friday, December 24, 2010 10:14 AM

emacs -Q
 
I downloaded the GnuWin32 setup executables for image support and then
ran them, which put the image DLLs in a folder c:/Program
Files/GnuWin32/bin/.  I put that folder in my PATH.

These are the DLLs that I have in that folder:
 
glut32.dll
jpeg62.dll
libimage.dll
libpng3.dll
libpng12.dll
libpng13.dll
librle3.dll
libtiff3.dll
libungif4.dll
zlib1.dll
 
AFAICT, that should be all I should need.  What am I missing?
 
(In the same folder are lots of *.exe and other files.  There are also several
sibling folders.  I put only the bin folder in PATH (it is the one with the
DLLs.)
 
I have several image files and tested them in Emacs.  I cannot display
any PNG files.  I can display a tiny minority of the JPG and GIF files,
and I can display one of the two TIFF files I have.  When the image is
not displayed, what is displayed is instead a 1 cm x 1 cm hollow black
square on a white background.
 
I've attached two GIF images, two JPG images, and two TIFF images.  The
GIF I can see is beehive*.gif; the GIF I cannot see is drew-emacs-1.gif.
The JPG I can see is drew*palette*.jpg; the JPG I cannot see is
2006*.jpg.  The TIFF I can see is ftp*.tif; the TIFF I cannot see is
http*.tif.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2010-12-20 on 3249CTO
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'