Subject: bug#7716: 23.2.91; Pretest Windows binary doesn't support PNG images

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:03:28 -0800

> Sorry, I forgot you don't have the source tree.
> 
> In the binary distribution, you have the same information in the file
> README.W32...

> It should be obvious that "nt/INSTALL" refers to a file INSTALL in the
> nt subdirectory.

Well it was, but there is no nt/ folder (as I said).

BTW, README.W32 refers to "nt/INSTALL in the src distribution" but it does not
say what the "src distribution" is or where to find it.

Before I got your mail, Sean pointed me off list to where GnuWin32 is, so I
downloaded the setup files and ran them.  I hadn't read README.W32, but I just
guessed at the setup file names based on their descriptions.  The only one I
missed at first was the dependent one, zlib.

Installing the DLLs made it possible to display maybe 5% of the images I tested
with.  I can display a few of the JPG and GIF files, and one TIFF file.  I
cannot display most of the JPG and GIFF files and one TIFF file (I only had two
TIFFs to test with).  I cannot display any PNG files.  By "cannot display" I
mean that what gets displayed is only a 1 cm x 1 cm thin black box (empty) on a
white background.

So something is still wrong/missing.

I downloaded all of the image setup executables and ran them, which put all of
the required DLLs in a folder that I then added to my PATH.  These are the DLLs
I have:

glut32.dll
jpeg62.dll
libimage.dll
libpng3.dll
libpng12.dll
libpng13.dll
librle3.dll
libtiff3.dll
libungif4.dll
zlib1.dll

AFAICT, that should be all I need.

(In the same folder are lots of *.exe and other files.  There are also several
sibling folders.  I put only the bin folder in PATH (it is the one with the
DLLs.)

HTH.